Sunday 20 April 2014

Wonder by RJ Palacio - Review

**A note on my notes: If you haven't read the book, you will be spoiled. Go and read it, you won't regret it! Also, don't hate on my opinion; accept that perception is a real thing that exists.**

I only picked up this book because I saw someone who I usually have similar literary taste to post a review raving about how much they loved it. Then I saw the cover, which is absolutely gorgeous, and I knew I had to own it for my collection.

I started reading it, and I loved it right from the very beginning. The writing is so beautiful and I completely fell in love with Palacio's style, which I think perfectly captured the mindset of each character. The novel was extremely easy to read due to really short sections, so when I had a few spare moments I could smash out a few chapters, which is always a nice feeling!

If you're reading this post, then you should have already read the book, but it you haven't here's a basic plot summary. August Pullman is about to enter middle school for the first time after being home schooled for the entirety of his education. He's not just an ordinary boy and is classed as somewhat of a 'medical wonder', having needed numerous surgeries and facial reconstructions. The novel basically follows him and his close family and friends as he goes through one of the most difficult, yet rewarding years of his life.

The story is told in parts, each narrated by a different character. I'm not usually a huge fan of multiple points of view because it's difficult for an author to get inside the head of so many characters and display their voices completely separate from one another. However, I thought that each character was narrated perfectly. I loved how the parts intersected so there were times when the same event was seen from two or more characters perspectives. Each character made me sympathise with their POV, but only until the next part narrated by a different character where I almost immediately sympathised with the new character's perspectives instead. If I could change one thing about this book I would include some of the adults perspectives into it, especially August's mother, Mr Browne or Mr Tushman. Although I do think it would be interesting to hear their thoughts and perspectives on some of the overarching themes, bullying in particular, I think the characters that were chosen to tell their side of things did the story justice.

I finished this novel when I was on the train home from uni. I catch an express train from the city in peak hour usually, so this train was packed full of people. I literally cried for half of the thirty-three minute journey. Tears of joy. I never cry from happiness, but I was just so happy that Auggie got his standing ovation and that Julian was leaving school and Mr Tushman's speech was just beautiful and gosh it was seriously my favourite book ending ever. I can't even describe how happy it made me feel, to see everything resolved like that. It makes me smile just thinking about it.

I cried a few more times throughout my reading as well, mostly from sadness and frustration. When Julian made the comments about Darth Sidious I cried a little. I burst into tears when Daisy died. I cried from frustration at the boys on the camp, because it just made me remember how evil and ignorant some people can be, but Amos standing up for Auggie that night was so beautiful. 

I loved how Auggie was such a Star Wards nerd. I loved Summer. I loved Mr Browne's precepts. I loved reading all the main character's precepts at the end of the book. I loved how the fight between Jack and Julian split all the boys into sides but the girls were all too mature for that kind of stuff. I loved the relationships between all the characters, because they weren't perfect and they all had fallouts at one point, just like in real life. 


Wonder was so uplifting and made me feel so happy. This has easily become one of my favourite books of all time, and I can see it staying in that list for quite a while. I would 10000% recommend this to anyone, because I think there are so many lessons that everyone would benefit from. Seriously, read it.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this book on the shelves about a thousand times, and I always talk myself out of getting it. (I'm sure when I go back this time, all the stores won't have it, and I'll have to go online :) Always the way.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was like that too with this book. I thought it looked interesting, but I never bought it until a few months after. But I seriously loved it. It was so beautiful.

      Delete