Tuesday 3 June 2014

Reading Slumps and Updates

First of all, apologies for my sustained absence recently... I've been super busy with the other aspects of my life and my blog was not my first priority, though I wish it could have been. I'm aiming to have more regular posts up soon. In other news:

Reading slumps suck. 

If you read regularly, then you know what I'm talking about. It's that feeling when you look at your book and you have absolutely no desire to pick it up, no matter how many good things you've heard about it or how much you know you'll enjoy it. You just can't read it.

Like I said before, I've been extremely busy lately, which has meant that my reading time has been minimal. Reading too much is partly why I was even busy in the first place; I should have put my reading books down and picked my text books up weeks ago. So it got to the point where every time I started reading, I felt guilty because I should have been doing something else. Eventually, I just didn't feel like reading because it didn't give me the same sense of joy and relaxation that I wanted it to, so I just didn't read.

This went on for about three weeks, in which I only read about half of a book. It would probably have continued until I was on holidays if it wasn't for the release of City of Heavenly Fire, which I purchased a few days ago and have been reading ever since. Which brings me to my next point.

If you've been following my blog since my first post, then you would have read that this year I was aiming to read fifty books. So far this year, I've read 14 books. This puts me six books behind schedule, which is upsetting. But I have recent;y bought several new books that I am super excited to read, and I will have a lot more free time over the coming weeks, so I can easily catch up those six books. My goal is to be back on track by the end of July, which means that over the next two months, I need to read fifteen books.

I've also put my 250 movie challenge on hold for the time being. I just haven't had enough time to get through them when I needed to, and I didn't want the challenge to feel like a chore. I wanted to expose myself to some more classic movies that I have never seen before, which I already have with the few that I have watched. Over the second half of the year I hope to revisit the list and cross a few more off, but I'm happy with the progress I've made even though I know I won't get through the whole 250.

I'm aiming to have weekly posts up again shortly, so stay tuned - if you're interested...


No comments:

Post a Comment