Monday 1 September 2014

Top 5 Book Casts

Character development is essential for a novel to be successful. Often, I'll continue reading a book that I think is weak in terms of plot in order to discover what happens to the characters. As a reader, I love when a book has characters that I can invest emotionally in, because it only adds to the story. This post lists the books or series of books that have my favourite cast of characters.

5. Wonder by R.J. Palacio
This book is one that I've read in 2014 and I absolutely loved it. The characters in this book are just so perfectly developed and they are so realistic. If you haven't read this book, I would definitely read it (and I've done a review of it here if you're interested). This book has multiple perspectives, which enhances each character so much and hearing a different perspective on certain issues always manages to change your opinions somehow.

4. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Not only is this book narrated by an interesting character (Death), but it's filled with so many more complex characters that interact so well with each other. Mama and Papa are just beautiful human beings that are so realistically described and Liesel and Rudy are both incredibly accurate characters in terms of them both being children. These characters are just beautiful and I would read this book if you haven't already (and I've done a review of it here).

3. The Infernal Devices trilogy by Cassandra Clare
If you haven't read this series, you really should (I haven't done a review, but Google these books and you'll fall in love). It contains some of the most brilliant characters I've ever read. Magnus Bane is a hilarious gay warlock (which definitely makes him sound as awesome as he is) who brings a unique perspective to life due to his insane age (he's very, very old.). Then there's Will Herondale and Jem Carstairs, who have the most beautiful friendship and interact so well together. And of course, Tessa, who isn't my favourite character, but she works so well in this trilogy.

2. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
This book is easily one  of my all-time favourites (review), and the incredible characters play a huge part in this. Cath is so easy to relate to and has a million qualities that so many people can identify with. The same goes for all of the characters. The issues and struggles that each character has to overcome are so realistic. They all feel so personal. And they're all so loveable.

1. The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
(If you haven't read these books... what are you doing with your life?). I believe that part of the reason for the success of these books is the characters. Although they're all so unreal in that they are witches/wizards that are from a world that we know we can never visit or relate to, they are so easy to understand as human beings. Children from all over the world were able to identify with these characters because not only do they have to save the world, but they also have to deal with real-world issues, like being outshone by your best friend, falling in love and growing up.

You can follow me on Twitter here.
You can add me as a friend of Goodreads here.
You can subscribe to me on YouTube here.

No comments:

Post a Comment