Friday 22 August 2014

Delirium Trilogy - Review

**A note on my notes: This review is spoiler free. If you don't agree with me, that's okay too!**

"What if love was a disease?"
"Life can change in an instant."
"Can the truth set you free?"

The Delirium trilogy is a YA dystopian series written by Lauren Oliver that is set in America somewhere in the future. In this world, love has been classed as a disease and at the age of 18, all citizens are forced to get a 'cure'. This cure stops allowing them to feel any significantly strong emotion, such as love or hate. Those who disagree with the cure illegally live within and outside the major cities borders.

While I did enjoy this series, I didn't love it. I had a few of problems with it, particularly with the second and third books. In saying that though, I enjoyed all three books and I was compelled and invested in them enough to complete the trilogy easily.

Delirium
Delirium is a solid start to the trilogy and I obviously liked it enough to finish the rest of the series. The story moves along at a good pace, making the novel super easy to get into and to get through. The characters are established well and are pretty interesting; however, sometimes Lena, the protagonist, makes stupid decisions. And the cliffhanger is really exciting, and by exciting I mean makes you want to read more.
Like most dystopian series, the first book is bigger because it has a lot of world building, which is something that I also really enjoy. However, the world building in Delirium leaves a lot to be desired, and this goes for the trilogy as a whole. There is so much information that you're not told, and I think this is something that really let me down as a reader.

Pandemonium
I enjoyed the second book, but no where near as much as the first one. The second book isn't told in chronological order and it switches from the past to present, which I think worked really well in terms of the plot.
Pandemonium introduces a lot of new characters, and really the only character from the first book that is prominently featured in this one is Lena. I found the new characters a lot more interesting and I was able to connect with them a lot more. The cliffhanger at the end of this book is incredible... It's probably the most adrenaline-pumping cliffhanger in the history of cliffhangers.

No matter how many issues I have with this series, one thing Lauren Oliver did right was cliffhangers, and these books have the most cliffhangery cliffhangers I've ever read in my entire life. 

Requiem
As soon as I finished the second novel, I knew I had to read the final one just because of the cliffhanger. I enjoyed this book as well, but it's definitely my least favourite of the trilogy.
This book is told from the dual perspective of both Lena and Hana, Lena's best friend from the first book, and I also think this style worked well with the plot. The only thing that I really didn't like about Requiem was the ending! It's extremely ambiguous, which I know would be something that a lot of other readers would really enjoy.

Recommendation
If you mostly read contemporary fiction and are new to dystopian books, then this trilogy is for you. I would also recommend this book to anyone who's a fan of dystopian series' and trilogies, because while these books are not my favourites, I did enjoy them and I think the concept and ideas they raise are important ones.

You can find out more about the first book here
You can follow me on Twitter here.
You can add me as a friend of Goodreads here.
You can subscribe to me on YouTube here.

No comments:

Post a Comment