Friday 15 August 2014

More Than This - Review

**A note on my notes: This review is spoiler free. Also, you should read this book.**

"Haven't you ever felt like there has to be more? Like there's more out there somewhere, just beyond your grasp, if you could only get to it?"

More Than This by Patrick Ness follows a young boy who drowns and wakes up somewhere completely different. But it's so much more than that. And I know, what a sneaky pun. But seriously, that blurb only describes about the first third of the book. If you're interested in reading this book, you should go into not knowing anything about it, because you'll appreciate it so much more that way. (I know, I did it again).  

The Good
I loved this book. The concept of the novel is an interesting one, and it definitely lived up to my high expectations. It made me think so much, about anything from life to technology to depression to friendship and probably close to a thousand other things. It's almost definitely the most thought-provoking book that I've read this year. I love Ness' writing style; it's short and to the point, with a lot of short sentences to emphasise certain events, which makes the book incredibly easy to read. Seth is an excellent protagonist - he's well-developed and I found it so easy to sympathise with him.

The Bad The Not-as-Good
There isn't much I can fault with this book... However, I found the beginning to be a little slow. I don't know what it was, but it took me just as long to get through the first 100 pages as it did to get through the rest of the 200+ pages. After that section though, I flew through it. There are a few times when I thought it was a little repetitive, but that wasn't a major issue for me at all.

The Recommendation 
If you're looking for a thought-provoking book that really makes you think about life and all that jazz, then this book is 100% for you. If you're looking for an unique book, something unlike anything you've every read, then this book is also for you. If you've never read a Patrick Ness book, I think you should definitely try More Than This because the writing style is for sure something I'd read again.

You can find out more about this book here.
You can follow me on Twitter here.
You can follow me on Instagram here.
You can add me as a friend of Goodreads here.
You can subscribe to me on YouTube here

No comments:

Post a Comment