Monday 11 August 2014

Favourite Book to Movie Adaptations

**A note on my notes: These are my opinions only and I'm not an expert on this subject (although I wish I was). Accept that perception is a real thing that exists and don't claim that I'm wrong or you're more right.**

I love books. I also love movies. I don't always love book-to-movie adaptations. So when one of my favourite books is about to be turned into a movie, you could understand why I get a little nervous. I mean, you saw The Hunger Games (or didn't see, with all the shaky camera...) or Percy Jackson and the Lightening Thief (yes I know I haven't read the book, but the adaptation was still terrible) so you probably all know exactly what I'm talking about.

While book-to-movie adaptations definitely make me nervous, and I do end up hating a lot of them, there are some that just get everything right. Here is a short list of all the book-to-movie adaptations that I am truly grateful for. (Note: the list is in no particular order.)

1. Catching Fire
The Hunger Games movie was bitterly disappointing. Granted, it had a few moments where I was happy, but overall, the entire movie was a let down. Because of that, I really wasn't that excited for Catching Fire to be released, because I was preparing myself for a re-emergence of the bitter disappointment I'd felt with its predecessor. However, I didn't need to prepare for that at all! Catching Fire was such a beautiful movie, because it so accurately portrayed the book. I was completely happy with this movie. Johanna. That's all I'm going to say.

2. The Book Thief
Now I read this book after I saw the movie, so my opinion of the movie might be a little different had I read the book first... But I also highly doubt that, because I read the book straight after and noticed hardly any differences between the book and movie. I think the casting for this movie was perfection. The acting was just beautiful. I also thought the portrayal of Death as the narrator was done well, which would have probably been the thing I was most worried about if I read the book first. But I didn't need to worry because it was done right.

3. Harry Potter in general
This is kind of a hard one to judge for me, because the time between when I read the books and when I watched the movies was so huge that I mostly didn't even remember what was going to happen. Because of that, it's hard to judge whether the movies were accurate adaptations, but they're on the list because I do remember that when I watched the movies I loved them just as much as I loved reading the books. The whole Harry Potter universe is just incredible, so I would love anything that is a part of the Wizarding World.

4. Water for Elephants
This is another one where I read the book after seeing the movie, but in this instance it was a couple of years after. However, I remember that I loved the movie when I first watched it, and then I loved the book when I read it in July of this year. I can't say whether it was an accurate adaptation, but from what I gathered, the major details were the same and I did really enjoy both the movie and the book, which is why it's on the this list.

5. The Perks of Being a Wallflower
This book was brilliant, and so was the movie. It was such a faithful adaptation and the movie really captured the essence and tone of the book and its story. I think the acting in Perks was perfect, and the casting was so accurate. I was extremely happy with the way this movie turned out.

6. Divergent
I really enjoyed the Divergent book series, but to be completely honest, I wasn't expecting the movie to amount to much. I thought that there were a lot of emotional scenes that just wouldn't work on screen as well as they did in the book. But I was pretty impressed with the adaptation! It's not my favourite movie and there were a few things that I wasn't happy with, but overall, the movie just made me so pumped. There was so much adrenaline running through me after seeing it, which is why I'm putting it on my list of favourites, because it captured the tone of the book.

Those are six book to move adaptations that I think were extremely successful. Let me know what your favourite adaptations are. Happy Reading!

You can follow me on Twitter here.
You can follow me on Instagram here.
You can add me as a friend of Goodreads here.
You can subscribe to my on YouTube here


No comments:

Post a Comment