Monday 6 October 2014

The Giver - Movie Review

**A note on my notes: This review is spoiler free**


"The worse part of holding the memories is not the pain. It's the loneliness of it. Memories need to be shared."

The Giver was originally a book published in 1993 (which I've posted a review on here). The story follows a young boy called Jonas who lives in a perfect world where everything is the same and everyone is equal. There's no war, no famine, no hunger and no hatred; yet, Jonas knows something is still missing. This film is a beautiful commentary on the importance of the freedom of choice and the value of love. 

The Good 
If you've read the book before going into this movie, then you won't be disappointed. There are several changes and a lot of things were added in, but I felt that these things only added to the story rather than taking away from it. I thought the acting was really good; even Taylor Swift did an alright job in this regard. The world building was done pretty well. The ending was so beautiful and it made me feel so warm and fuzzy inside. I also really enjoyed the soundtrack.

The Bad 
I didn't like the beginning of this movie. I found it boring and dragged on for a little too long. The same goes for the whole black and white thing... If you go to see this movie, don't stress!! Eventually things do become in colour, but I wish that there was some illusion to this in the beginning. The only other thing I didn't like was the characterisation of the Elder. In saying this though, it didn't take away from the movie's message. 

The Recommendation
If you read this book, no matter how many years ago it was, then I think you will enjoy this adaptation. If you haven't read this book, then you're not at a disadvantage because for the most part, everything is clearly explained. If you're a dystopian fan, then this world would be really interesting for you as well! 

You can find out more about The Giver (book) here
You can follow me on Twitter here.
You can add me as a friend of Goodreads here.
You can subscribe to me on YouTube here.

No comments:

Post a Comment